Pugs are some of the most famous dog breeds owing to their small size and cute appearance. Pugs have a friendly and sociable temperament, making them great companions for single people, travelers, and families with children. However, pugs are very expensive to buy and properly maintain. So, this article will treat in detail important things you need to know about owning a pug.
How much does it Cost to Buy a Pug?
The price of pugs ranges from around $500 to $2,000. This price range depends on factors such as the age of the dog, the color of the fur, and the place of purchase. These factors are responsible for the varying prices of pug. In some places, pedigree pugs are said to have been sold for a whopping $6,000. Being a pug owner definitely comes with some level of prestige and respect. Pugs are some of the most expensive and famous dog breeds. There are many things about pugs that make the high price of getting it worth it.
Read more: How Much Does a Teacup Chihuahua Cost?
Why are Pugs So Expensive?
The growing popularity of pugs accounts for their outrageous price. In ancient China where pugs first appeared, they were owned by many royal families. Even in Europe, pugs are reputed to be the pets of the elite class. Little wonder, the American Kennel Club ranks Pugs as the 28th most popular dog breed.
Toy dog breeds like Pugs, French Bulldogs, and Chihuahuas are well known due to their small, portable size. Surprisingly, the color of the fur is one of the major reasons why pugs cost so much. Pugs typically have fawn and black color. Being a fashionable and popular dog color, fawn-colored pugs are very expensive options. If you cannot afford pugs with soaring prices, you can opt for a pug with a different color.
Read more: Does A Father Dog Know His Puppies?
How Much Does it Cost to Breed a Pug?
One of the reasons why people shy away from pugs is because of the cost and challenges associated with breeding them. It takes around 2,280 dollars a year to properly care for a pug. Medical care and bills for the puppies are quite high and unaffordable for an average dog owner. Pugs usually develop complications during pregnancy. Many breeders opt for Caesarean sections instead of a natural birth owing to their narrow birth canals. This surgery cost many pug owners a lot of money.
Some Advantages and Disadvantages of Buying Pugs
- The small size of the dog is one of its major advantages. Small-sized pugs are easy to and transport.
- Pugs have a playful and cheerful temperament.
- Pugs are basically clingy dogs that love engaging in all family activities.
- Pugs are perfect companions for tourists, single people, and families with kids.
- Pugs are small and agile. They can run fast with playful children and adults. Some daily exercise and a few walks around as well as some indoor playtime will keep your pug excited and lively.
- Pugs can help ease off your anxiety, boredom, and loneliness.
Read more: Do Dogs Go to the Bathroom on a Plane?
- Pugs have breathing issues and usually snore during sleep.
- Since they have a short nose, pugs cannot efficiently cool off under the hot weather. It is not a good idea to exercise or train pugs on hot days as they overheat.
- Pugs’ charming large eyes can easily hurt. Hugging a pug too firm may lead to his eyes sticking out of the eye sockets which would need medical treatment.
- Another disadvantage of owning pugs is that they shed a lot, but a lot of dog breeders are cool with it.
- Pugs are also very sensitive and allergic to cold.
- Pugs are also high-maintenance dogs. It takes 2,280 dollars a year to properly care for a pug.
Some Health Conditions That Pugs Have Weak Resistance to
Pugs are chondrodystrophic. This implies that their bones are shorter and twistier than other dog breeds. This makes them more vulnerable to some orthopedic problems like intervertebral disk diseases, luxating patellas, and Legg–Calvé–Perthes disorder. Other health problems that pugs are likely to have are joint problems, breathing problems, and hip dysplasia.
Read more: Can a Spayed Female Dog Still Attract Males?